Date:      Sun, 20 Jun 1999 19:55:52 -0400
From:      "Matt White" <mwhite@donet.com>
To:        <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   FreeBSD 3.2 install and large IDE drives

Hello...

I may have uncovered a problem in the FreeBSD 3.2 install.

I recently bought a new 18GB IDE drive, and I'm trying to install FreeBSD
3.2 into one of the partitions. When I run the FreeBSD "fdisk" (not sure
what's it actually called) during part of the install, it doesn't detect my
drive settings correctly, and thus thinks I'm okay of disk space.

It's detecting it like this:

 - 255 Heads
 - 2193 Cyls
 - 63 Sectors

And in reality is has:

 - 16 Heads
 - 34960 Cyls
 - 63 Sectors

I can't help but notice that 34960 - 2193 is the "magical" number 32767.

The drive is detected correctly at boot time, which leads me to believe the
OS itself is fine, but it's the "fdisk" program that has the problem.  When
I set the drive geometry manually it takes it, but it still doesn't see that
I have 7GB of unpartitioned space.

Any ideas?

Matt