Date:      Tue, 6 Jan 1998 13:39:03 +1100
From:      "Rob Secombe" <robseco@wizard.teksupport.net.au>
To:        <amurai@spec.co.jp>
Cc:        "FreeBSD ISP LIst" <isp@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   iijppp and stac compression

Hi,

We are currently using FreeBSD with iijppp to implement simple firewalls
for a number of our customers over 33k6 dialup lines. We have recently
switched to using the Livingston PM3's which supports STAC compression.

The following was taken from the Livingston Website:

"Livingston's implementation of data compression utilizes the IETF proposed
standard RFC 1962 PPP Compression Control Protocol for negotiation of data
compression over dial-up and dedicated PPP links and the proposed standard
RFC 1974 PPP Stac LZS Compression Protocol for actual data payload
compression. The ComOS implementation supports both sequence number as well
as extended mode error checking for full Microsoft Windows 95
interoperability. Full interoperability has been tested between Livingston
products and 46 other data communications, networking and computer hardware
manufacturers' products."

The ability to use this feature would enable us to provide our users with
better thoughput without them incurring the expense of having to shift to
ISDN.

My question is "does the latest version of iijppp support STAC, and if not,
is there any posibility that support for STAC may be included in the near
future?" I understand that STAC  is a commercial product but also have read
somewhere that licences may be obtained to include the code for no charge.

Rob Secombe
Engineering Director

Teksupport Pty. Ltd.
7 Warwick Avenue,