Date:      Wed, 10 Nov 2004 03:10:02 -0600
From:      "Travis J. Hicks" <travis@desideratum.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Rebooting fails after installing 5.3-RELEASE

On Tue, 09 Nov 2004 04:46:53 -0600, Travis J. Hicks
<travis@desideratum.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a custom PC with an ASUS A7N266-VM motherboard, 256MB of RAM, a WD
> hard drive, a generic CD-ROM drive, and a D-Link DFE-530TX+ NIC. I had
> FreeBSD 4.9 on one partition and Windows XP Pro on another. Tonight I erased
> the 4.9 partition and installed 5.3.
>
> Since then I have been unable to get the machine to reboot when booted into
> FreeBSD. Calling "reboot" or "shutdown -r now" syncs, displays the uptime,
> then roughly says:
>
> Shutting down ACPI
> Stray irq9
> ACPI-0265: *** Error: Hardware never changed modes

Just an update on my progress:

There is no option in the BIOS of my ASUS board for disabling ACPI. On the
suggestion of someone else with an ASUS board I switched the interrupt mode
from APIC to PIC, which did not help.

If at the Beastie menu I choose option 2, ACPI disabled, it does not help.
If I choose option 3, safe mode, it does not help. If I choose option 4,
single user mode, it does not help. If I choose option 6, then run 'unset
acpi_load', 'set hint.acpi.0.disabled="1"', 'boot', it does not help. Only
by choosing option 7, reboot, have I gotten the machine to reboot
successfully. Using 'reboot' or 'shutdown -r now' resets the machine to a
state where the BIOS never comes up and the reset button must be pushed to
boot the machine.

I tried resetting my BIOS, erasing my hard drive, and doing another clean
install of 5.3-RELEASE. The issue is still present. I removed the NIC and
CD-ROM (everything but the hard drive) and the issue is still present. I
never had a single problem with 4.9-RELEASE or Windows XP Pro on this box.
This is my first time installing a 5.x build, and while I'd love to use it,
not being able to reboot unless I'm at arm's reach from the reset button is
a pain. Any ideas?

--
Best Regards,
Travis J. Hicks