Date:      Sat, 29 Nov 2008 03:03:52 +0100
From:      Laszlo Nagy <gandalf@shopzeus.com>
To:        raggen@raggens.net
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: CUPS: cannot see printer from various program

> Hello Laszlo,
>
> You might want to add the following lines to /etc/make.conf
>
> CUPS_OVERWRITE_BASE=yes
> NO_LPR=yes
> WITH_CUPS=yes
>
> And rebuild the application you want to print from.
>
> (The above was found on the excellent guide at
> http://www.math.colostate.edu/~reinholz/freebsd/)
Thank you! I already have a running system, so I had to

setenv WITH_CUPS
cd /usr/ports/x11-toolkits/gtk20
make deinstall
make install clean

I do not fully understand why it is done this way. Most users -
including me - are going to install gnome2 first, and most likely CUPS
is not installed by that time. It is also true that many users who
install gnome2 will have a printer and want to use it. So I would
recommend to create a make option "[X] CUPS support" for gtk20, or at
least for gnome2. It was quite hard to find information about this issue
on the internet! Should I post a PR for this? (It is not a real bug but
I think it causes problems for many users.)

Thanks,

  Laszlo