Date:      Wed, 10 Mar 1999 13:20:36 +0930 (CST)
From:      Kris Kennaway <kkennawa@physics.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        Brett Taylor <brett@peloton.physics.montana.edu>, brett@lariat.org, wes@softweyr.com, freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: volunteering (was Re: Ports)

On Wed, 10 Mar 1999, Terry Lambert wrote:

> Actually, I've often wondered what effort, if any, was given over
> to pushing FreeBSD patches back from the ports tree to the original
> maintainers of the code?

It's pretty much up to the maintainer, and depends on how amenable the
developers are to discussion of changes. If the patches provide a functional
change, or fix build incompatabilities, chances are fairly good it will be
accepted back into the next version (I've seen lots of these).

In my experience most authors of small (e.g. Linux-developed) code projects
are only too pleased to accept patches which provide FreeBSD support, so they
can get their name in lights on freshmeat with "Now provides XXX
compatability" in the release announcement :-)

A lot of the patches in the ports tree are just tweaking to massage things
into the FreeBSD directory scheme, which aren't so likely to be merged (unless
the author was doing something stupid like installing files into a blatantly
bad place). There are a lot of patches which provide demonstrable benefit
however.

> One thing that someone could contribute would be to go through the
> various patches, and roll them back (if they aren't just hacks) to

There are quite a few hacks which would need to be cleaned up before being
merged - i.e. breaking compatability with non-freebsd builds.

Kris

-----
(ASP) Microsoft Corporation (MSFT) announced today that the release of its
productivity suite, Office 2000, will be delayed until the first quarter
of 1901.