Date:      Mon, 15 Nov 2010 08:21:03 -0600
From:      Josh Paetzel <josh@ixsystems.com>
To:        Tijl Coosemans <tijl@coosemans.org>
Cc:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org, Andriy Gapon <avg@icyb.net.ua>, Anonymous <swell.k@gmail.com>, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org, Alexey Shuvaev <shuvaev@physik.uni-wuerzburg.de>, Mark Linimon <linimon@lonesome.com>, "kris@pcbsd.org" <kris@pcbsd.org>
Subject:   Re: xorg-server 1.7.7

--nextPart1480745.tcOtldmJNQ

On Monday, November 15, 2010 04:51:36 am Tijl Coosemans wrote:
> On Sunday 14 November 2010 23:02:42 Josh Paetzel wrote:
> > Area51 is quite cloneable it terms of infrastructure and what not. We
> > could very easily provide an SVN repo for experimental xoeg work.
>=20
> It would be better if there was a repo for ports development on the
> FreeBSD servers. There are several projects now that could use this
> that I think this is warranted. It would increase their visibility and
> lower the barrier to entry to attract contributors and testers.
>=20
> It doesn't have to be anything complicated. An SVN repo that tracks CVS
> and on which ports committers can create project branches would be
> enough.

While conceptually that sounds very simple, an SVN repo that tracks a CVS r=
epo=20
is very complicated.  One of the most complicated parts of the FreeBSD src=
=20
repo being in SVN is the SVN -> CVS exporter.  The main issue is there are=
=20
operations that don't map 1:1 across both repos that have to be dealt with =
by=20
hand.

I wasn't proposing that, I think area51 is just a place to check in=20
experimental ports.  The merge back to FreeBSD has to be done by hand.

The main difference to me is by running it on a PC-BSD infrastructure box I=
=20
can just set it up today and have it running and usable in a few hours. =20
Punting it back to the FreeBSD project....by the time it's all sorted and u=
p=20
and running it will be spring of 2011. :)
=20
=2D-=20
Thanks,

Josh Paetzel