Date:      Mon, 7 Jul 1997 10:42:39 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Wolfgang Helbig <helbig@MX.BA-Stuttgart.De>
To:        md@papower.dialup.box.net.au
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Modem Configuration

> Hi.
>
> I hope you can help me.  I am a Slackware Linux user.  I decided to make a
> change and went out and bought this Walnut Creek FreeBSD CD ROM for $50.
>
> As far, I am not at all happy with it.. Linux is EASY to install, I had no
> trouble installing it, and using it within 20 minutes of installation.  I
> have spent 2 DAYS trying to configure FreeBSD, with not much luck.

Just FYI, I found FreeBSD much easier to install and configure then
Linux Slackware, that I used before.

> The trouble I have is that I cannot configure my modem on COM2.  For
> example if I try to run minicom...it gives me an error saying "Device not
> configured" .  I think that the setting for the modem configuration is

This error message means the device is not supported in your
kernel. You need to configure the serial interface sio1. For the
details consult /sys/i386/conf/LINT and man sio.

> /dev/cuaa1  ???????   I have tried the -c command upon boot up and see
> that the Serial ports addresses are correct.  But during the startup
> sequence it says "sio1 (and 0) not found at 0x3f8 (and 0x2f8).  I have

This is something you'll have to fix before you're using it. It
will help us to help you if you are providing more detailed
information i. e. which Release of FreeBSD you are using and your
hardware configuration.

> also tried running /stand/sysinstall as root , but as with the mouse
> configuration item in the menufound here, there is nothing at all that i
> can find regarding a modem???  I have the dialup IP package installed from
> the CDrom.
>
> The reason I need this to be working is because I have an allocated IP
> address on the Net, and I am a (ex??) Linux user.  I have a script here
> called 'ppp-on' which i type to connect to the remote service whilst using
> Linux and cant connect this way with FREEBSD because 1) I dont know the
> equivalent command for FreeBSD, and the appropriate configuration files
> and 2) I cannot configure my modem.
>
> This FREEBSD cd-rom i purchased has very limited documentation and you

This is simply not true. Did you read all of the documentation in
/usr/share/doc and the manual pages?

> would have to be better than Einstein to work some stuff out.  The help
> pages on the CDROM are the same, very limited and ambiguous, and seem to
> be incomplete, or stop where you think important documentation should be
> contained.    Considering the fact that Linux cost me nothing and
> FreeBSD cost me $50, well I am about to jump on this CDROM and throw it in
> the bin, unless some kind of help can be sent to me :(

And download the OS for free from some FreeBSD-mirror in your continent:-)?

Sorry that I cannot provide more help, since this sio problem did not
occur to me but I am sure someone else on this mailing list is more
knowledgable.

> PLEASe please help me, i am becoming very frustrated with this and cannot
> afford this downtime.
>
> Hope to hear from you soon.
>
> Kindest Regards,
>
> Matthew Dunstan