Date:      Wed, 17 Apr 2002 18:24:30 -0400
From:      "Richard E. Hawkins" <dochawk@psu.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   using second ethernet to talk to laptop (Slythern Lives!)

At long last, slytherin has been delivered!  It is currently sucking
source directories from this machine, but it's runnign through the
campus network.

the 760MP motherboard comes with dual xl ports.  Ultimately, it would
be nice for it to serve as a router for my laptop.  In the meantime,
I'd like for it to talk as 10.x.x.x or some such, but I'm not having
much luck.  I think I even froze it with my attempts to load addresses
with ifconfig.

I've tried configuring the second port with /stand/sysinstall, but the
result is to change the default router.

There is no router; there's a single machine that thinks it knows it's
IP (which is on the same subnet as slytherin), and no need to ever
worry about any other machine connecting.

What's the best bet here?

btw, sltherin has dual athlon 1900's (the 2000's came out to late to
change!), 2G ddr, and 4 18g 15rpm drives.  Take that, bashed numbers
[1], and I"ll watch on the 21" Trinitron monitor . . . :)

hawk

[1]  My models don't so much crunch numbers as bash them into
submission . . .