Date:      Thu, 4 Mar 1999 16:54:46 -0800 (PST)
From:      "N. R.R." <robalama@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   boot problem in 3.1-R

Hello again,

After just installing 3.1-Rfrom the CDs I went ahead and followed Greg
Lehey's instructions on page 72 of "The Complete FreeBSD" about
relocating the /tmp and /var.  However, since the /tmp directions said
I should be in single user mode, I did both parts in single user mode.

mkdir /usr/var
cd /var
tar cf - . | (cd /usr/var; tar xf - )
cd /
rm -rf /var
ln -s /usr/var /var

and

mkdir /usr/tmp
rm -rf /tmp
ln -s /usr/tmp /tmp

Here is where the problem starts.  From now on, every subsequent time
I boot, this is the message I get:

routing daemons:.
Mounting NFS file systems.
/etc/rc:  cannont create /var/run/dmesg.boot:  directory nonexistent
cd:  can't cd to /var/run
/etc/rc:  cannont create /var/run/clean_var:  directory nonexistant
Enter full pathname of shell or RETURN for /bin/sh:

Please let me know what stupid error I made.

Thanks

Neill