Date:      Fri, 26 Apr 2002 15:23:19 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@owt.com>
To:        Maxime Henrion <mux@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG, Doug Barton <DougB@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: patch to have make clean not recurse in ${PORTSDIR}

Maxime Henrion wrote:

> Doug Barton wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 24 Apr 2002, Maxime Henrion wrote:
>>

>>>Currently, if you do a ``make clean'' in /usr/ports, it will recurse
>>>through each port's dependencies and clean them too.
>>>
>>	This has been discussed at great length on various lists. The two
>>answers to your question are, A) You can already do what you want to do,
>>with an option that allows you NOT to do it if for some reason you
>>actually WANT to repetitively clean dependencies,
>>

> I never said my patch was bringing new functionality, the point is to
> change a default which doesn't make any sense IMO.  However, it has a
> side effect of breaking the case where you actually want to clean
> dependencies repetitively when in /usr/ports, as mentioned in my mail
> already.  I also said that I can change it so that it's still possible
> to do it, if I was given a good reason to do so.
>

>> and B) The fastest way
>>to clean up your ports tree is not to use make at all, it's:
>>
>>find /usr/ports -type d -name work -exec rm -r {} \;
>>

> I'm well aware of that, and I use something similar often.  You could
> also use -maxdepth and -mindepth so that it's even better, as somone
> already noted.  You could also use portsclean or whatever, this is not
> the point at all.  This patch is _not_ a performance patch, it's a patch
> to have "make clean" in /usr/ports behave as expected, some could say
> intelligently.
>
> Are these two reasons all what was given when this has been discussed
> previously ?  Honestly, they doesn't make sense to me.

I think that as long as a make will automatically install all of the
b-deps and r-deps of a port the default should be what it is. If you
do not clean what you have generated, people will have a shock from
all of the code that suddenly appeared and caught them off guard.

I have an alias that I run instead of "make clean". It stands for
make_do_not_clean depends and is

alias makednc   make -DNOCLEANDEPENDS clean

Kent

--
Kent Stewart
Richland, WA