Date:      Tue, 20 Nov 2001 20:47:18 +0100 (MET)
From:      hm@hcs.de (Hellmuth Michaelis)
To:        "Georg-W. Koltermann" <Georg.Koltermann@mscsoftware.com>
Cc:        hm@hcs.de, FreeBSD Current <freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: vmware fails on -current

From the keyboard of Georg-W. Koltermann:
> At Sun, 18 Nov 2001 09:37:12 +0100 (MET),
> Hellmuth Michaelis wrote:
> >
> > Thought i update my current this morning and ran into two problem with
> > vmware:
> >
> > 1) when starting vmware, vmware.sh aborts with
> >
> >    vmware.sh: cannot create /compat/linux/dev/vmnet1: no such device
> >    or address
>
> Hi Hellmuth,
>
> that can be fixed with using /dev/vmnet1 instead of the /compat device
> in /usr/local/etc/rc.d/vmware.sh.  I needed this change since about
> two months now, IIRC.

Today i got it to compile and run:

- apply the patch from Munehiro Matsuda to hostif.c, this makes the vmware2
  port compile under -current as of today

- as described above, use /dev/vmnet1 instead of /compat/linux/dev/vmnet1
  in /usr/local/etc/rc.d/vmware.sh

- replace /compat/linux/dev/vmnet1 with a symlink to /dev/vmnet1
  (perhaps the previous step would be unnecessary by this one)

After this, vmware comes up and then complains about not able to use
/dev/rtc (/dev/rtc is present in /compat/linux and is kld-loaded) but
then continues to start up and runs.

One thing which looks funny to me is this that the vmnet1 device files
have different minor numbers:

<ROOT@bert>/root ll /usr/compat/linux/dev/vmnet1-BAK /dev/vmnet1
crw-------  1 root  wheel  149, 0x00800001 Nov 20 18:50 /dev/vmnet1
crw-rw-rw-  1 root  wheel  149, 0x00010001 Nov 20 18:42 /usr/compat/linux/dev/vmnet1-BAK

(where /usr/compat/linux/dev/vmnet1-BAK is from the vmware2 port install
 and moved from vmnet1 to vmnet1-BAK before the new symlink was made).

hellmuth
--
Hellmuth Michaelis                                    Tel   +49 40 55 97 47-70
HCS Hanseatischer Computerservice GmbH                Fax   +49 40 55 97 47-77