Date:      Tue, 21 Jan 2003 13:11:44 -0500
From:      Chris BeHanna <behanna@zbzoom.net>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: kernel panic in ufs

On Tuesday 21 January 2003 06:57, Alexander Peresunko wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I have a regular (one per 10-30 days) kernel panic on my FreeBSD box.
> This happens on hard disk operations (mostly on daily periodic or such
> operations as cvsup).
> Ready to give additional information on request.

    If something is sharing an IRQ with some component of your I/O
devices, what you saw can easily happen.  This was my experience when
capturing video, for example:  every slot in my box is full, and the
IDE RAID card to which I was capturing the video shares IRQ 11 with my
sound card (which was capturing the audio portion of the video) and
with my SCSI adapter.  Under very heavy load, I was getting numerous
crashes that all pointed into UFS/VFS.  In my case, capturing 320x240
instead of 640x480 "cured" the crash, but that's really just a bandaid
to lower the load to the IDE RAID.

> [...crashdump deleted...]

--=20
Chris BeHanna
Software Engineer                   (Remove "bogus" before responding.)
behanna@bogus.zbzoom.net
                 Turning coffee into software since 1990.