Date:      Thu, 12 Feb 1998 09:29:04 +0100 (MET)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        hasty@rah.star-gate.com (Amancio Hasty)
Cc:        Anthony.Kimball@East.Sun.COM, multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Any cards that work?

> The problem that I have with CS42xx low end cards is that they
> are cheap and noisy but hey I am pretty sure that the low
> quality does not bother some ( I am not been sarcastic).

You know when you are getting mbone audio with >20% loss, or share
the office with 3 other people and a total of 8 PCs with fans, who
cares about noise from the card :)

In any case you are very right, and some cards are noisier than others.
I cannot really say (even judging from postings on
comp.sys.soundcard.mine.is.better.than.yours) that price and quality are
really related. Since
most noise comes from poorly designed analog
circuitry/power supply decoupling etc. on the card, it's not even the
codec, or ISA vs PCI. I'm sure -- if you say that --  that Gus and
or your vibes cards are good quality ones, but i think you need to give
very specific brand names/models to give useful info.

	cheers
	luigi