Date:      Thu, 6 Jul 1995 13:28:26 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Ken Robinson <robinson@nrnsinc.on.ca>
To:        mnewell@lupine.nsi.nasa.gov (Michael C. Newell)
Cc:        pechter@sesd.ilex.com, FreeBSD-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Old 1.1.5.1 ppp problem

> On Fri, 23 Jun 1995, William Pechter ILEX Systems wrote:
>
> > I finally got the house a dial-up net connection with PPP.
> >
> > I seem to be having one major problem.  My modem drops the line on the
> > transition between kermit and pppd (or just after pppd starts).
>
> When you exit Kermit it drops DTR, which causes the modem to hang up.
> You need to turn off DTR hangup sensing on the modem; for my Hayes Accura
> I use "AT&D0" to do this.  An alternative is to use a package like chat
> invoked by pppd to do the dialing...

I think you could also get away with using the kermit SUSPEND command.
Once the connection is up, exit out to the kermit command line and
SUSPEND it.  Then bring up ppp.   I use this with SLIP on a 1.1.5 system.
Remember to clean up the background kermit when your done though.

--
Ken Robinson
DREnet Network Coordination Centre (NCC)