Date:      Fri, 01 Nov 1996 18:52:59 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        John Fieber <jfieber@indiana.edu>
Cc:        HANAI Hiroyuki <hanai@astec.co.jp>, freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG, "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@FreeBSD.ORG>, doc-jp@jp.FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: On Japanese version of Handbook.

> Also, there should be a selection mechanism for what languages to
> build/install.  Should english always be installed?  Should all
> languages installed or only those matching the LANG variable?
> What are the implications for building and packaging releases?
> (Yo! Jordan!)

Well, assuming that the various language resources are properly
segregated under /usr/share/doc/<something>, I see no reason why I
couldn't modify the release building scripts accordingly to split the
doc distribution into multiple parts, the way the src dist is done,
and adding a subcomponent selection menu for docs.

I can also bring back a global installation LANG which can be used for
selecting the default doc components, among other things, though it's
always been those "other things" which we've never really seemed to
zoom in on.  Do we want to keep maintaining a separate set of
sysinstall docs in /usr/src/release/sysinstall/docs, for example?  If
not, how should we replace them?  Do we want to internationalize
sysinstall in general again, like we had with 2.1?  What about the
Japanese and Chinese versions we have out there now, are the changes
mergable or divergent?

Everytime we get into this it seems that a lot more questions than
answers are raised, which goes some way towards explaining the sorry
state of I18N support today. :-) I'm willing to do my bit with the
release engineering and sysinstall hacking, but I need a bit more
direction from those who understand what "correct" I18N support is all
about.  My own experience with I18N extends not much beyond using
elementary message catalogs to generate simple prompts and
informational messages, and I suspect that the challenges here before
us here go considerably beyond that in scope.

What do the "experts" say? :-)

					Jordan