Date:      Wed, 7 Aug 2002 10:46:41 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@clunix.cl.msu.edu>
To:        bastill@sa.apana.org.au
Cc:        grog@FreeBSD.ORG (Greg 'groggy' Lehey), questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Is simplicity despised? WAS: What do we need in a FreeBSD desktop?

> On Tue, 6 Aug 2002 14:10, Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:
>
> > If there's one thing that you need to learn early on, it's a good
> > editor.  I did install le just to see what it was like.  I think the
> > average user would find it harder to use than Emacs.
>
> You miss the point totally.  Emacs in this context is a furfy.
> The point is that a standard FreeBSD install includes EDITOR=vi in its
> environment.
> My strong feeling is that if a person wants vi but has something simpler as
> the initial default, they are probably from a background which will enable
> them to change the environment very quickly.  OTOH, a person who is totally
> mystified by vi might well also not have the knowledge to change that default.

Do not, I repeat DO NOT change the default editor from vi.  Go ahead and
make it really really easy for someone to choose another one - it is
already quite easy.  But changing the default editor is a bad bad idea.
It works well under every environment - even some you newbies can't
imagine exist.

////jerry