Date:      Thu, 6 Jun 2002 14:14:35 +0200
From:      Axel Scheepers <axel@axel.truedestiny.net>
To:        Fuzzy <fuzzy@pooh.ASARian.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: msg: can't verify hostname: getaddrinfo(<hostname>, AF_INET) failed?

On Thu, Jun 06, 2002 at 04:02:17AM -0400, Fuzzy wrote:
> Jun 6 03:17:53 pooh inetd[14172]: warning: /etc/hosts.allow, line 5:
> 	can't verify hostname:
> 	getaddrinfo(ip-53-53.jdrmedia.com, AF_INET) failed
>

> we've been getting a lot of these, and have no idea why inetd
> is complaining. its not like I can fix the DNS for the problem
> hosts. what am I supposed to do to do to avoid these messages?
>
> thanks
>
> fuz

Hi Fuz,

Can you resolve that name by hand with nslookup or host ?
Or it might be that you've put in your dns name (e.g. www.blah.net) in
hosts.allow, which in turn tries to resolve it and gets ip-53-53.jrmedia.com
back, it isn't the same and hence the msg. (Don't know if it really does
this, but it seems reasonable to do) try replacing it with your ip address then.

Gr,
--
Axel Scheepers
UNIX System Administrator