Date:      Thu, 21 Sep 2000 05:00:47 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        "Richard Steusloff" <sloffski@lainet.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problems Communicating

Richard Steusloff writes:
> I had previously unsuccessfully seeked assistance for my problem - and now
> don't know where the email went.  Anyway:
> FreeBSD 5.0-Current.  Can send email, but cannot receive any due to
> timeouts.  Cannot receive even one web page.  Additional information from my
> first email:

You shouldn't be running -current unless you are a developer, or have
other pressing needs. If you're not in one of those two categories,
you should go back to 4.1-stable, which might work better. If it
doesn't, try posting the relevant dmesg output and kernel config lines
here as well as just a question, as covered in the "how to get the
most out of freebsd-question" postings.

If you *are* in one of those two categories, you should try cvsuping
to the PRE_SMPNG tag, and running that version. If that works, then
the problem is probably related to some of the lossage introduced by
SMPNG. You can then either stay at PRE_SMPNG until a fix is announced
on current@freebsd.org, or keep updating and trying again until the
problem is fixed. If it's not an SMPNG problem, you should try looking
through the source for the relevant device driver, looking for changes
that might have made it croak, and going back to that. Once you find
which change caused the problem, go to current@freebsd.org with that
information, asking for a patch and/or fix. However, it may take until
after the SMPNG stuff settles down to get it fixed in -current.

	<mike