Date:      Wed, 11 Jan 2017 23:24:18 -0500
From:      George Mitchell <george+freebsd@m5p.com>
To:        Kevin Oberman <rkoberman@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: 10.3-RELEASE-p13 "unsupported file layout"

--OHEtRfvVVKAFpfg7fwKC6sFuL7ANEAOJ3
From: George Mitchell <george+freebsd@m5p.com>
To: Kevin Oberman <rkoberman@gmail.com>

--fCgx93EaAJdMrXcmTHgpkMxrv0CQs3EmM

On 01/11/17 17:46, George Mitchell wrote:
> On 01/11/17 17:20, Kevin Oberman wrote:
>> [...]
>>
>> While I have no suggestions about the error building libc, your statem=
ent
>> that you can't use freebsd-update due to your use of a custom kernel i=
>> incorrect. This is a common misconception and, in cases of very limite=
>> disk space, may be true, it is rare. It is helped by the fact that the=
 man
>> page makes no mention of how to so this. (You do still need to build a=
 new
>> kernel if the update does, indeed, touch the kernel.)
>>
>> All you need is a GENERIC kernel in /boot/GENERIC. You can either buil=
d it
>> or download it. See the FreeBSD Handbook Section 23.2.3.1, =E2=80=9CCu=
stom Kernels
>> with FreeBSD 9.X and Later=E2=80=9D
>> <https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/updating-u=
pgrading-freebsdupdate.html#freebsd-update-custom-kernel-9x>
>> for details on downloading a GENERIC kernel. Before any upgrade, major=
 or
>> minor, you might wat to re-reas that section.
>>
>> Once the GENERIC kernel is in /boot, you may use freebsd-update and, i=
f the
>> GENERIC kernel is not updated, you're good to go. If it is, you will n=
eed
>> to build and install a new custom kernel and reboot. Since most securi=
ty
>> patches don't touch the kernel, this is usually not needed. I believe =
that
>> the 10.3 kernel was last touched in p11.
>> --
>> Kevin Oberman, Part time kid herder and retired Network Engineer
>> E-mail: rkoberman@gmail.com
>> PGP Fingerprint: D03FB98AFA78E3B78C1694B318AB39EF1B055683
rg"

> Thanks, I'll try that the next time I have a chance.  When I naively
> tried a straight "freebsd-update" a few months ago, of course it
> overwrote my SCHED_4BSD kernel with a SCHED_ULE one.        -- George
>=20
Just to refresh my memory of what happened a few months ago, I tried
the following experiment.  I copied my current modified kernel:

rsync -av /boot/kernel/ /boot/my.kernel/

Then with my modified kernel still in place, I said:

freebsd-update fetch
freebsd-update install

With not a qualm in the world, freebsd-update installed a fresh
SCHED_ULE kernel in /boot.  (Happily, it did save my current kernel
in /boot/kernel.old.)  That's what happened last year, too.  Why
didn't freebsd-update notice that I had a modified kernel and at
least notify me that something funky was going on?      -- George