Date:      Tue, 13 Nov 2007 09:14:38 -0800
From:      "Maksim Yevmenkin" <maksim.yevmenkin@gmail.com>
To:        "Zoran Kolic" <zkolic@sbb.co.yu>
Cc:        freebsd-bluetooth@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: correct steps to put data on the phone

On 11/12/07, Zoran Kolic <zkolic@sbb.co.yu> wrote:
> Howdy!
> Must to confess that I'm impressed with bluetooth in
> connecting different sort of devices. Such a nice toy
> as usb dongle I had not for a long time.
> I might need some advice for putting files from desk-
> top box to nokia phone with memory card. I found that
> part and all necessary netgraph modules. Dongle is
> gigabyte bt03d and is recognized by the module. After
> giving /etc/rc.bluetooth script 555 privs, I could
> start/stop the stack. Reading along manual, I learnt
> that hcsecd should handle pairing of dongle and the
> phone. Is it a necessary step for the task I have in
> mind? I suppose I need paired devices to even think
> about it. Is it enough to start usage of obexapp? And

yes, usually you need to pair phone and pc.

> finally, should I find the channel to operate on? If
> I get it right, flag has to be "-C IrMC". Or FTRN?
> Manual says app will find the correct channel just
> giving it the protocol.

depends on what your phone supports. usually its either obex push
(opush) or obex file transfer (ftrn). if you are using ftrn then you
will likely need to use -f switch with obexapp.

> Do I need something more than this:
>   kldload ng_ubt
>   input dongle
>   /etc/rc.bluetooth start ubt0

the last should not be required. if devd(8) is running
/etc/rc.d/bluetooth will be executed automatically when dongle is
plugged.

>   hcsecd

you probably want to use hcsecd_enable knob in rc.conf and
/etc/rc.d/hcsecd script to start/stop it.

>   obexapp -a bluetooth_address -C IrMC

i'd say try first '-f -C ftrn' instead of '-C irmc'

> If I missed something important, please let me know.
> Not to forget, firewall should be set to handle this
> interaction. I use ipfw as stateful. If desktop starts
> the session, it will go like a charm. If the phone
> has to query, I must know the port to connect to. Any
> advice about configuration for this service?

ip firewall (such as ipfw/pf/etc) will not help you here.
bluetooth/obex is a completely different protocol.

thanks,
max