Date:      31 Oct 2002 15:37:52 +0000
From:      Wayne Pascoe <wayne@penguinpowered.org.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   IPSEC tunnel help

Hi all,

I'm struggling to setup a VPN. I'm now reading through
http://www.daemonnews.org/200101/ipsec-howto.html
and this is confusing me even more :(

Reading this, I see:

However, if your goal is to set up a VPN, that is, link 2
widely-separated networks together over the Internet, then you'll
probably want to use ESP/tunnel mode.

The example then goes on to show
spdadd 10.10.10.0/24 10.20.20.0/24 any -P out ipsec
         esp/transport/1.2.3.4-5.6.7.8/require;

which is transport mode, no ?

Can anyone point me at a decent howto to link 2 networks together? I'm
trying to setup 2 VPN gateways so that everything behind each of those
talks to everything behind the other one via a VPN.

I'm also confused about the ifconfig instructions for the gif0
device. I've got 2 network cards going with one being the external
device
(172.16.0.1 and 172.16.0.2 respectively)
and the other for the internal network
(10.0.1.1 and 10.0.2.1 respectively)
What should my gifconfig and ifconfig lines be ?

--
- Wayne Pascoe
    Microsoft complaining about the source