Date:      Sat, 20 Oct 2007 16:06:55 +0930
From:      "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Cc:        ECEG / Daniel Duerr <dd@emeraldcityeg.com>, d@delphij.net
Subject:   Re: twa driver needs updating

--nextPart2206601.YEh2UJsieF

On Sat, 20 Oct 2007, ECEG / Daniel Duerr wrote:
> Hi Scott,
>
> Great perspective here, thanks for taking the time to respond.  I
> agree with you and believe that some attention should be put on the
> hardware vendor driver side of things.  It was *such* a pain to get
> to the point where I could even install Freebsd on these machines.
> And 3Ware RAID controllers are pretty standard IMHO.
>
> I've upgraded to RELENG_6 from RELENG_6_2 but I'm not at the data
> center and I cannot chance a reboot with the twa driver not working
> for me and the machine not coming back up.

It is quite trivial to modify the install disk if you have another=20
=46reeBSD machine handy to build the kernel. You can just drop in the=20
module you want to /boot/kernel on the CD.

Although I agree, it would be nice if you could more easily load vendor=20
drivers.. (ie if the module overrode the kernel code)

=2D-=20
are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum