Date:      Wed, 6 Feb 2002 19:00:58 -0700
From:      "Jason Sheets" <jsheets@shadonet.com>
To:        <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   receiving Deferred: local mailer (/usr/libexec/mail.local) exited with EX_TEMPFAIL message, no /var/mail file for users

Hello,

First let me thank whoever answers for their time.  I'm setting up a FreeBSD
4.5 machine to replace a Windows email server and I've run into a problem.

I'm running the default sendmail with Cyrus-SASL from
/usr/ports/security/cyrus-sasl.  I followed the instructions in the
files/Sendmail.readme file to enable PLAIN and LOGIN support and I am able
to use SMTP AUTH to send mail so this looks like it is ok.

The problem is that whenever I attempt to send mail to a local user I get a
message  "local mailer (/usr/libexec/mail.local) exited with EX_TEMPFAIL" an
ls /var/mail shows that is no file for the username (in this case angela) in
/var/mail.  I added the user via the adduser script.

Any help in resolving this issue is sincereley appreciated.

Jason

This is the contents of ehlo localhost

Hello localhost [127.0.0.1], pleased to meet you
250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
250-EXPN
250-VERB
250-8BITMIME
250-SIZE
250-DSN
250-ONEX
250-ETRN
250-XUSR
250-AUTH LOGIN PLAIN DIGEST-MD5 CRAM-MD5
250 HELP

These are the specs for the machine:

FreeBSD 4.5-RELEASE
Default sendmail