Date:      Fri, 27 Aug 1999 09:28:09 -0600
From:      Damien Tougas <dtougas@converging.net>
To:        Cillian Sharkey <cillian@baker.ie>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: adopt a newbie program

On Fri, Aug 27, 1999 at 03:17:41PM +0100, Cillian Sharkey wrote:
> > And there is another issue which I believe (speaking only for
> > myself) is hiding just below the surface if people would admit
> > it: a lot of the people with the answers do not think people put
> > in enough work trying to help themselves before posting here for
> > quick and easy answers.  If you are a little bit past being a
> > newbie, lurk for a few weeks, be objective, and I believe you
> > will come to agree with me.
>
> I agree.
>
> I've posted answers to people's questions here before, and more
> often than not, I simply reply back with read such-and-such
> a page of the FAQ/handbook etc.. <sigh>
>
> Cillian

I do not disagree with you.  I do not consider myself to be a newbie,
and I have been following the list for some time.  I think that as
the OS becomes more popular, we will just continue to see more of this
all the time.  I cannot speak for either of you, but I know for myself,
I kind of like searching around to find the answers, and figure out
as much as possible on my own.  I like to leave the mailing list as
sort of a last resort for my questions.  The problem is, not everyone
shares this attitude.  Some people just want it to work, and do not
have the time or energy to always scour the net for a solution.  As a
result, they will post a question, it's quick and easy.

Maybe my idea for an adopt a newbie program is lame.  That's ok.  But
perhaps there needs to be somthing in place to make searching for the
answers a little more intuitive for someone who is new to the game.

--
Damien Tougas
Converging Technology Solutions, Inc.