Date:      Wed, 18 Jul 2001 15:21:04 -0300 (ART)
From:      Fernando Gleiser <fgleiser@cactus.fi.uba.ar>
To:        feenikz <demi@god.za.net>
Cc:        <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: IPNAT

Here's what I do (and it works).

Let's say your firewall external address is 172.16.1.226, and you want
172.16.1.227 map to the internal host 192.168.1.25. The netmask of the
public net is 0xfffffff8

then you say:

# ifconfig rl0 172.16.1.226 netmask 0xfffffff8

Then, you lookup rl0's MAC (via ifconfig), and say

# arp -S 172.16.1.227 <MAC of rl0> pub

And that's it.

In other words: if you use bimap, you don't use the external IP as an alias.
You use proxy arp.
If you use rdr, you assign the external IP as an alias on rl0.

			Fer