Date:      Tue, 14 Feb 1995 21:28:52 -0500 (EST)
From:      Jeff Hoffman <jeffh@cybernetics.net>
To:        FreeBSD-Questions@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   panic: cannot mount root

I am trying to install FreeBSD on the following computer:

Maximus Magna Artist Pro Multimedia
90mhz Pentium
32mb RAM
1gig Fujitsu SCSI-3 HDD
NCR 53c825 Fast/Wide SCSI Controller
Plextor 4PLEX Quad-spin CD-ROM
#9 Imagine-128 Video Board (use Xaccel for this, since XF86 won't work)
3.5"
QIC-80 Tape (IOMEGA Tape250)

The strange thing is, I had FreeBSD running on this machine before.
Then, I reformatted my drive to add Windows NT, and when I go back to
install FreeBSD I cannot get past this problem as I did before.  This is
the information from bootup that I could write down:

changing root device to fd0c
fd0c: hard error reading fsbn 16 of 16-31 (ST0  40<abnrml>  ST1
4<sec_not_fnd>  ST2  0 cyl 0 hd 0 sec 17)
panic: cannot mount root

rebooting in 15 seconds, blah blah

When I reboot, my BIOS reports that my floppy drive(s) fail.

Before, after rebooting a few times it finally went past this point and I
installed FreeBSD, never to bother with it again.  I am trying to install
2.0R from the Walnut Creek CD-ROM.

This time, however, after I reboot, it scans my floppy drive, and then
boots NT as if there is no disk in the drive.  I have to power my
computer off and back on, or boot NT and re-start to get it to recognize
the floppy again.

The only thing that has changed since my last installation is the
addition of the IOMEGA Tape250 QIC-80 drive.

If anyone has any suggestions or help, I'd sincerely appreciate it.

-jeff