Date:      Fri, 25 Nov 2016 09:39:03 +0100
From:      c279@dropcut.net
To:        freebsd-arm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Raspberry Pi advice

Hi Oliver,

On Fri, Nov 25, 2016 at 10:26:20AM +0700, Olivier wrote:
> I am not sure I am on the right list, if not, please help and point me
> to the correct one.
This mailing list is primarily for individuals working to port FreeBSD
to new ARM-based systems and improve existing support.
General resources for the Raspberry Pi might be:
* https://www.raspberrypi.org/resources/
* https://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/projects/raspberrypi/tutorials/robot/buttons_and_switches/
* https://learn.adafruit.com/category/raspberry-pi

> My questions are the following:
> - which version buying? 2B or 3B?
The Raspberry Pi 2 has the best support[0] as of today. You can roll
your own image for the Raspberry Pi 3[1] if you need to. I personally
would choose an RPi2 for FreeBSD at this point.

> - how GPIO does GPIO work? I need one input to generate interupts and
>   the other one to generate interupts but that I can also be able to
>   pull the value when there has been no interrupt. Is that possible?
Yes. Here[2] is an example in C and in Python[3].

> - would it be possible to use the GPIO to generate a signal to sound
>   like a siren?
Yes, but you can also attach speakers to the 3.5mm jack. This might be
easier than fiddeling with GPIO fpr this purpose.

> Best regards and thanks for the help,
You're welcome,

-hf

[0] https://wiki.freebsd.org/FreeBSD/arm/Raspberry%20Pi