Date:      Wed, 1 Nov 2000 22:09:22 +0000
From:      j mckitrick <jcm@FreeBSD-uk.eu.org>
To:        flag <flag@libero.it>
Cc:        Dima Dorfman <dima@unixfreak.org>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ctrl key to show current system operation?

On Wed, Nov 01, 2000 at 08:55:15PM +0100, flag wrote:
| On Tue, 31 Oct 2000, Dima Dorfman wrote:
|
| > Control+T?  Sample output:
| >
| > load: 0.10  cmd: gzip 15818 [running] 0.46u 0.00s 0% 384k
|
| ???
|
| I tried pressing Ctrl+t or Ctrl+Shift+T but nothing happens...=P
| What's wrong?

You need to do it when the terminal is busy doing something.  If you have
the prompt, then it won't do anything.  Try ssh to a slow connection, or
maybe some file operation that takes a long time .  The key is to get the
terminal to be waiting, with no prompt, while a job is being performed.
Another idea is to start a long tar operation without verbose output.  All
of these things should do it.  Then just hit ctrl t while it is working.

jcm
--
"That depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is." -President Bill Clinton

"I don't know what you mean by the word 'ask.'" -CEO Bill Gates