Date:      Thu, 19 Apr 2001 06:49:13 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Linh Pham <lplist@closedsrc.org>
To:        Kathy Quinlan <katinka@magestower.com>
Cc:        Ted Mittelstaedt <tedm@toybox.placo.com>, Bzdik BSD <bzdik@yahoo.com>, Charles Burns <burnscharlesn@hotmail.com>, <vince@oahu.WURLDLINK.NET>, <jgowdy@home.com>, <kris@obsecurity.org>, <mwlist@lanfear.com>, <freebsd@sysmach.com>, <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Different Platforms (was: the AMD factor in FreeBSD)

On 2001-04-19, Kathy Quinlan scribbled:

# while we are talking on comparing different cpu classes what about sun spark
# stations or SG boxes ????

Sun UltraSPARC workstations/servers are decent... the UltraSPARC IIi is
somewhat under powered as a graphics workstation, but would be somewhat
decent for creating apps, writing Java applications or backend code,
system proc for a mid-frame server, etc.

The UltraSPARC III based workstations are getting some of the horsepower
that Sun has been lacking in their single/dual processor machines.

SGI boxes are nice for multimedia and 3D work, but SGI has been
floundering and has made several failed attempts to jump into the x86
workstation/server market.

Speaking of different platforms, there is also the Compaq/DEC Alpha :)
Now if you want really nice power that can also run FreeBSD... that's
the way to go. Unfortunately, Digital (and now Compaq) haven't really
marketed the platform very well. I would be kind of nice to see a fully
ported version of Windows 2000 (64-bit of course) for the Alpha, but it
really get the best out of it... go BSD, Tru64 UNIX or even VMS.

# PS how did apple compare the adobe Photoshop ?? as I recall the only thing
# common was the screen layout, other than that the code was completely
# different. has anyone written a "C" program that is then cross compiled on
# multiple platforms ????? I know this is not a real "office program" test,
# but atleast would compare the functions of the cups

My guess is that Adobe optimized portions of Photoshop (and I do mean
portions... usually plug-ins and possibly some of the really repeated
functions) for the Mac platform to take advantage of the AltiVec engine.
Adobe does similar optimizations for MMX (and possibly SSE, but not
SSE-2 if I recall correctly), but what we don't know is if Adobe
optimizes the exact same plug-ins and function on both platforms...

Apple (and quite a bit of the industry) has been known to do selective
comparison; choosing the best of their product versus the worst of their
competitor's product.

Apple has and will always to `apples to oranges' comparisons (sorry for
the pun) because they know that they sell hardware and software to a
large cliche and the rest of the people either hate their guts or don't
even care.

--
Linh Pham
[lplist@closedsrc.org]