Date:      Sun, 19 Jan 2003 19:20:40 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Stephen D. Kingrea" <reytech@sover.net>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: code 1 error on kernel compile

On Sun, 19 Jan 2003, Kris Kennaway wrote:

>On Sun, Jan 19, 2003 at 09:31:52AM -0500, Stephen D. Kingrea wrote:
>> problems got deeper at this point, since repeated attempts began yielding
>> different results, such as:
>>
>> DMA failure switching to FPIO
>>
>> hard error reading fsbn <snip addresses> status=59 error=40
>>
>> leading me to believe that i suddenly have bad ram chip or failing ide
>> controller.
>
>Sounds likely it's a dying HD.

that's possible, since i am recieving same error at about the same time.

>> switching boxes now to pentium II gateway2000, getting undefined reference
>> errors during make in bt.o.... code 1. what th?
>
>Not enough information.
>
>Kris

actually, that problem has been solved. commenting nothing
and just adding the few firewall and natd options that i needed worked
beautifully, how advisable is it to comment out options and devices while
configuring custom kernels? i am currently running 2
workstations behind freebsd gateway/server without issue and starting to
add services incrementally. are there any comprehensive guides to all of
the required kernel config options?

warmest regards,

stephen