Date:      Sun, 16 Oct 2005 08:34:41 -0700
From:      Micah <micahjon@ywave.com>
To:        "Andrew P." <infofarmer@gmail.com>
Cc:        Peter Matulis <petermatulis@yahoo.ca>, freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: portupgrade -ar (why?)

Andrew P. wrote:
> On 10/16/05, Peter Matulis <petermatulis@yahoo.ca> wrote:
>
>>--- "Andrew P." <infofarmer@gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>>Honestly guys, what is this thread about?
>>
>>Hum, understanding something?
>>

>>>You're not gonna make portupgrade work any faster or
>>>smoother if you weed out a couple of switches from the
>>>command-line.
>>
>>See above.
>>

>>>I don't mean to bother anyone if you're
>>>having fun, but it just seems that portupgrade's manpage
>>>covers it all.
>>
>>Ha, I knew a manpage guy would come around sooner or later.  Don't
>>you think I read it already?  I have questions it does not cover.
>>

>>>If you're not sure - just try it. If something's
>>>strange - see if it's a bug, and if you're sure it is - send-pr.
>>
>>I can use all the switches if I want.  The entire alphabet soup.
>>But that won't help me understand what is happening.  I am not
>>satisfied with not "seeing something strange".

> Yeah, right. Maybe we could get together some time
> and understand what's happening over a cup of tea.
>
> Anyway. I don't know ruby at all. In fact, I don't know
> any programming language very well at all.
>
> % more `which portupgrade`
> <search for "-a", "-r" and "-R">
>
>     opts.def_option("-a", "--all",
>                     "Do with all the installed packages") {
>       |$all|
>       $recursive = false
>       $upward_recursive = false
>     }
>
>     opts.def_option("-r", "--recursive",
>                     "Do with all those depending on the given
> packages" << NEXTLINE <<
>                     "as well") {
>       $recursive = true unless $all
>     }
>
>     opts.def_option("-R", "--upward-recursive",
>                     "Do with all those required by the given packages"
> << NEXTLINE <<
>                     "as well / Fetch recursively if -F is specified") {
>       $upward_recursive = true unless $all
>       $fetch_recursive = true
>     }
>
> Fortunately, my somewhat basic English allows me
> to understand it. Now what part of that is not covered
> by the manpage?

Look at it again.  Unless I'm completely off, -a and -r are mutually
exclusive.  All sets $all and sets $recurse to false.  -r only sets
$recurse if $all is not set.  So if -a is specified you'll never get a
recurse.  So the original question still stands - why use -r when you've
used -a?

Later,
Micah