Date:      Wed, 28 Jul 1999 09:27:33 +0100
From:      Dominic Mitchell <Dom.Mitchell@palmerharvey.co.uk>
To:        Jeroen Ruigrok/Asmodai <asmodai@wxs.nl>
Cc:        Dominic Mitchell <Dom.Mitchell@palmerharvey.co.uk>, David Scheidt <dscheidt@enteract.com>, Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@flood.ping.uio.no>, Len Huppe <huppe@execpc.com>, "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: What to tell to Linux-centric people?!'

On Tue, Jul 27, 1999 at 07:17:38PM +0200, Jeroen Ruigrok/Asmodai wrote:
> * Dominic Mitchell (Dom.Mitchell@palmerharvey.co.uk) [990727 17:15]:
> > Ksh is fine, and a lot better than a lot of people realise.  The one
> > beef that I have with it, after coming from zsh/bash is that completion
> > is ESC ESC (or ESC \ in vi mode), instead of TAB.  Dammit, everything
> > should use TAB!!
>
> *cough* bullshit *cough*
>
> set -o vi-tabcomplete
>
> Questions? [that's pdksh btw]

I know that's pdksh.  The same pdksh that doesn't come installed on all
the commercial Unixes I have to deal with.  And if I've *got* to install
software add-ons, I'll zsh, as it's far superior than ksh anyway.  The
point I was trying to make is that ordinary, plain-jane David Korn's own
shell (1998 edition) is *almost* reasonable for interactive use bar that
one teensy point.

If only the vendors would get around to installing ksh93 instead of
ksh88 (dtksh don't count), as that does allow arbitrary key bindings.
Bloody typical of the Unix vendors that they're still 11 years out of
date...  Talk about stifling development.
--
Dom Mitchell -- Palmer & Harvey McLane -- Unix Systems Administrator

	In Mountain View did Larry Wall
	    Sedately launch a quiet plea:
	That DOS, the ancient system, shall
	    On boxes pleasureless to all