Date:      Fri, 14 Jul 2000 15:35:27 -0700
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: fxp0 hangs on a PC164 using STABLE

>> >fxp is not supported on the Alpha, and known to be unreliable there.
>> >Contact the maintainer or use a different card.  FWIW, this actually
>> >sounds like an issue that's been seen on x86 as well.
>>
>>    It does? I've never heard of a bug report like this for x86 and in fact I'm
>> not aware of any bugs in the driver for x86.
>
>It's been described many times, actually.  It sounds a lot like a bad
>interaction between either the card or the driver and the hub/switch at
>the other end, however it's shown up on a reasonably regular basis.

   There are some known issues with autonegotiation, which have very little to
do with the card or driver, but nothing that is intermittant and results in
the card wedging. Can you point me to the most recent report of the problem
you're talking about? Because I sure have no idea what you're refering to.

-DG

David Greenman
Co-founder, The FreeBSD Project - http://www.freebsd.org
Manufacturer of high-performance Internet servers - http://www.terasolutions.com
Pave the road of life with opportunities.