Date:      Wed, 16 May 2001 15:22:51 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>
To:        Tor.Egge@fast.no
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: on load control / process swapping

:..
:>     allow them to be reused in the next read(), and they will
:>     already be in the L2 cache.  If I don't free the underlying VM
:>     pages the sequential read will force the L2 cache to cycle, and
:>     I'll bet that is why you get such drastically different idle
:>     times.
:
:Avoiding that copyout() is the major reason for increased idle time.
:
:The L2 cache will still cycle a lot with your suggested implementation
:for the load I used since the normal amount of outstanding IO is 25 MB
:(256 KB x 100).  The L2 cache is a lot smaller then 25 MB.
:
:- Tor Egge

    I'd have to see your test code.  Doing a direct-read into a user buffer
    has no cache impact at all (DMA does not go through the cpu cache).
    If you are doing seek/read()s but not actually looking at the data that
    is returned, your test results are going to be seriously skewed.

					-Matt