Date:      Tue, 29 Aug 1995 01:06:36 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        rashid@haven.ios.com, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: S.O.S -2.1Stable and ASUSP54TP4

Jordan K. Hubbard stands accused of saying:
> Your barracuda has probably dropped off-line.  How hot is it in your
> case, anyway? :-) These drives get VERY WARM during operation and need
> good ventilation to be happy!  On hot days in badly designed cases,
> they tend to go on vacation pretty predictably.

Just on the 'cuda thread; I had opportunity to eyeball a pile of -4's
tonight.  Some observations for fans of big and fast disks, and
particularly those that have met these drives before :

 - They're quiet.  (Yes, sports fans, quiet)
 - They don't get very hot.  (One busy unit packed in a small,
   convection-cooled case with its power supply was finger-touch
   warm - all of the drives had been running for over a week)

I think that Seagate may be moving in the right direction with these
puppies. (Mind you, they're as picky as all get-out about SCSI cabling
and termination 8( )

> 						Jordan

]] High-speed data acquisition and                                      [[
]] realtime instrument control          (ph/fax) +61-8-267-3039         [[
]] My car has "demand start" -Terry Lambert  UNIX: live FreeBSD or die! [[