Date:      Thu, 13 Jan 2000 20:02:24 -0600
From:      "Dave Page" <davecpage@earthlink.net>
To:        "FreeBSD-questions" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   mounting CD rom

I am a total newbie to Unix/FreeBSD.  I posted earlier, but
realized I hadn't done enough research on my problem.  I am
trying to access my CD-ROM drive.  Here is what I've found:

1.  In the KDE Control center, under Devices, I have:
	wdc1 at Ox170-Ox177 irq 15 on isa
	wdc1: unit 0 (atapi): <ATAPI 40X CDROM/VER-4.00> etc. etc.
	acd0: drive speed 687-6875KB/sec, 128KB cache
	acd0: supported read types: CD-R, CD-RW, etc. etc
	acd0: Audio: play, 255 volume levels
	acd0: Mechanism: ejectable tray
	acd0: Medium: no/blank disk inside, unlocked

2.  Under Partitions, I have:
	/dev/acd0c   /cdrom   cd9660   ro,noauto

3.  When I try "mount -t cd9660 -o ro /dev/acd0c /cdrom" I
get "cd96690: Input/output error"  (/cdrom is where I'd like
to mount it)

Obviously the system knows the drive is there.  Am I
entering the command wrong?  (If you have the time, please
walk me through this step-by-step.  Total newbie.)  It's not
mounted *already*, is it?  I've tried going to the /cdrom
directory and doing an ls with a cd in the drive--I get
nothing.

TIA.

Dave

davecpage@earthlink.net