Date:      Thu, 6 Jul 2000 08:33:30 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Otter <otterr@telocity.com>
To:        Will Senn <wsenn@postfuture.com>
Cc:        Freebsd-Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Sounblaster 16 and FBSDi4.0

On Thu, 6 Jul 2000, Will Senn wrote:

> I figured I would give this one last shot.  I cannot get my Soundblaster 16 to work with freebsd.  Here are my settings (jumpered)
> Port 0x220
> Irq  7
> Dma1 1
> Dma2 6
> MPU  disabled (or 300)
> MIDI 388
>
> All of the documentation that I have seen on sound has referred to the snd0 device.  This device has been deprecated?  The LINT file
> refers to a newpcm device.  When I add the device pcm and device sbc0 lines to my config file and recompile the kernel, I still do
> not have sound.  I tried sh MAKEDEV pcm from the /dev directory (sort of like sh MAKEDEV snd0?)

make sure you add:
device	pcm
device	sbc
(not sbc0)
 then recompile the kernel. before rebooting cd /dev && ./MAKEDEV snd0
yes, snd0. if that's not working, try snd1. you can run /usr/sbin/mixer to
make sure that your volume is set high enough. on my sb live, i don't get
vol control, so i just set the pcm variable to 100 and it's good. i think
the sb16/awe cards all give you vol control though. after rebooting to
your kernel with the support added in now, it should work fine. if not,
check the output of /dev/sndstat and make sure it shows the card you
have. also, if you have problems, go back to your dmesg output and make
sure there's no hardware conflicts if it's not working.
-Otter
p.s. should the dma2 be set to 6? i seem to remember 5, but i never used
jumpers on mine...