Date:      Wed, 12 Dec 2001 18:02:27 -0800
From:      Robert Clark <res03db2@gte.net>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Headless HOWTO?

There is info on the FreeBSD website on how to modify
the kernel floppy to use the serial port as console.

(Just appends a line into the one of the boot config
files on the floppy.)

There is also a package called comconsole you can
install that will setup the "console" entry in /etc/ttys.

The package is nice to have, because you can add it
to a scripted install, and end up with a system that
comes up headless after the install.

If you add entries into /boot/kernel.conf to disable
vga0 sc0 and atkbdc0, then you (may) want to rename
/etc/rc.syscons to rc.syscons.off. Setting
up syscons behavior doesn't pertain to a serial
console, and rc.syscons will report errors.

Pheonix appears to have a BIOS for 64bit Intel that
does serial console redirection. Itox also has some
info online that dates back to '98.

[RC]