Date:      Tue, 24 Sep 2002 19:36:56 -0400
From:      Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
To:        Jess Fiorelli <jfiorelli@schwartz-pr.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: VPN: Windows client to FreeBSD?

On 23 Sep 2002 15:36:49 -0400, in sentex.lists.freebsd.questions you =
wrote:

>	Hello.  I'm looking into setting up a VPN so that people at home with
>cable modems/dsl/etc can connect into our corporate network.  I've
>looked at a bunch of ipsec how-to's (using racoon mostly), but they all
>seem to be geared towards a setup that connects two freeBSD machines
>together and passes packets securely between them.  I'd like to use SSH
>sentinel, or some other free Windows based client on one end, and then
>the freebsd box with VPN software running on the other to connect the
>client to the work network as though it were physically plugged into it.
>
>What can I use to do this?  Most of the users use Windows 98 at home, so
>they don't have any built in ipsec programs.  The description of the
>linksys BEFVP41 is pretty similar to what I'd like to setup.=20
>http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?grid=3D23&prid=3D411

That would probably work. Another option is to use mpd =
(/usr/ports/net/mpd)
on the FreeBSD side and let the Windows clients use MS PPTP.  If you are
aware of the security limitations / issues of PPTP and you are OK with =
them
you should be fine.

	---Mike
Mike Tancsa  (mdtancsa@sentex.net)	=09
Sentex Communications Corp,   	=09
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
"Given enough time, 100 monkeys on 100 routers=20
could setup a national IP network." (KDW2)