Date:      Thu, 14 Dec 2000 08:18:55 -0600 (CST)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Cliff Sarginson <cliff@raggedclown.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: advice with old equipment.

Cliff Sarginson <cliff@raggedclown.net> types:
> My pentium 166 is weeping ... :(
>
> January, then I buy a fast mother .. :)
> Tell me what to buy !

Tell us what you want to do with it! It may be that your application
will be much happier on 450MHz 2MB Xeons than on a Gigahertz CPU with
256K of cache.

That said, put your money in the system, not the processor. You'll be
able to upgrade the processor later at a fraction of the cost of the
system, though if you buy esoteric packaging your choices will be
limited.

For example, I originally bought my dual Xeon box in 98 with one
400MHz 512KB PII/Xeon - because at the time, a second such CPU would
raise the cost of the box by more than 20%. I can now buy two 450MHz
2MB PII/Xeons for about 5% of what I paid for box. The motherboard
will take 600MHz PIII/Xeons, but those still cost more than I want to
spend for two. Unfortunately, Xeon's are the only thing that come in
Xeon packaging, so I don't have any other choice - not that I'm
complaining. FWIW, that machine replaced a 25MHz 68030, so your P166
would have been a *major* step up as well.

	<mike