Date:      Thu, 22 Aug 1996 11:48:09 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Brian Tao <taob@io.org>
To:        FREEBSD-PORTS-L <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>, FREEBSD-CURRENT-L <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Cc:        ambrisko@ambrisko.roble.com
Subject:   Building SOCKS5 port, linking into ssh 1.2.14

    I must be overlooking something really simple here... I grabbed
the ports-current/net/socks5 port (SOCKS5 0.16.6), and it compiled
without any complaints (thanks, Doug).  Now I want to recompile ssh
1.2.14 with SOCKS support.  This is my ssh configure command line:

./configure --with-etcdir=/usr/local/etc \
            --with-rsaref \
            --with-libwrap \
            --with-socks

    The configure fails with:
[...]
checking whether to support SOCKS... yes
configure: error: Could not find the -lsocks5 library.  You must first install socks.

    It is failing because the small test program references the
"Rconnect()" symbol (it does, however, appear to find libsocks5.a).
I've grepped all the files in the socks5 distribution, and there isn't
a single mention of Rconnect or Rbind or Rlisten or any of the R*
functions.  The SOCKS FAQ even says to use these functions when
socksifying a client.

    Am I missing some files that aren't included in the ports
collection?
--
Brian Tao (BT300, taob@io.org, taob@ican.net)
Senior Systems and Network Administrator, Internet Canada Corp.