Date:      Wed, 13 Dec 2000 10:09:43 -0700
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        Robert McCallum <robert@cards2talk.com>, misc@openbsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 911 lockdown!

Pardon me if I'm missing something here, but how would a firewall
prevent someone from cracking a guessable password on a legitimate
user account?

--Brett Glass

At 09:18 AM 12/13/2000, Robert McCallum wrote:

>My DNS/MAIL/WEB server was hacked recently, I don't believe they 'rooted'
>the server 'yet'. But I do see that they have obtained access to a user
>account. It apears they cracked a users account which I found out that one
>of my users did not adhere to our security policy and set a password that
>was not in accordance to our password policy.

>In conclusion, I need to setup a firewall on that particular host ASAP.

"Were parties here divided merely by greediness for office...,
to take a part with either would be unworthy of a reasonable
or moral man." --Thomas Jefferson