Date:      Thu, 02 Nov 2000 06:12:22 -0700
From:      Joe Warner <jswarner@uswest.net>
To:        freebsd newbies <freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   WEBMIN

Hi everybody,

While I was at work yesterday and after reading
Dru Lavigne's introduction to the Webmin utility,

<http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/bsd/2000/10/25/FreeBSD_Basics.html>;

I thought it sounded like a neat utility and decided
to install it.

The install went fairly easily except that my first attempt
from /usr/ports/sysutils/webmin errored out because
the Makefile was pointing to the wrong master site:

<http://www.webmin.com/webmin/download/>;

I'm running FreeBSD 3.4 and needed the 0.75
version of Webmin.  I edited the Makefile and
changed the master site to ftp://ftp.webmin.com/
and the install went much smoother.

After installing it and answering a few basic configuration
questions, I was able to open up a IE browser on my
NT 4.0 workstation and connect to the new Webmin
server running on my FreeBSD system.  I played around
with it for a short time and was able to perform some
basic administration functions like adding a new job to
the CRON scheduler.  This is a very slick utility that let's
you perform virtually every administrative task through a
web browser from a remote workstation on a network.
Security really isn't an issue since it allows you to specify
the port number during the config and also which hosts
are allowed to connect.

I was really impressed with this utility but one thought
came to mind, maybe it's not such a good idea to rely
on web/gui utilities like this too heavily, since one might
run the risk of falling out of practice in doing things the
old fashioned way.  I for one am prone to forgetfulness,
especially if I haven't used a particular command in a long
time.  The other day, I was trying to load a package and
had completely forgotten the syntax of /stand/sysinstall.
I eventually had to look it up in one of my books.

Cheers

Joe

--

    FreeBSD = The Power to Serve