Date:      Sat, 19 Mar 2022 21:11:38 +0100
From:      Matthias Fechner <mfechner@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Yasuhiro Kimura <yasu@FreeBSD.org>, ports-committers@FreeBSD.org, dev-commits-ports-all@FreeBSD.org, dev-commits-ports-branches@FreeBSD.org, ruby <ruby@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: git: c22b848a5d76 - 2022Q1 - mail/rubygem-mail: Fix dependency with Ruby 3.1

Am 19.03.2022 um 08:24 schrieb Yasuhiro Kimura:
>      In Ruby 3.1 net/smtp is distributed as bundled gem. On the other hand,
>      our ruby ports (lang/rubyXY) don't include bundled gems in their
>      packages and it also applies to lang/ruby31. That means net/smtp isn't
>      include in the package of Ruby 3.1. So add mail/rubygem-net-smtp to
>      RUN_DEPENDS so this port works fine with Ruby 3.1.

I'm not in favor doing it this way.
If you go to:
https://rubygems.org/gems/mail

The dependency is not listed.
I think doing it this way, will will run into many runtime problems.

I think it would be better to install rubyXY in a way that expected
packages are existing.
In my opinion we should add the runtime deps to the rubyXY port and remove
these patches from the ports like mail/rubygem-mail.

The next person that will upgrade mail to e.g. 2.7.2 will check
https://rubygems.org/gems/mail
and will remove the dependency to mail/rubygem-net-smtp again.

I think this will end in a nightmare managing the dependencies correctly.

Any comments?

Gruß
Matthias

Rich Cook