Date:      14 Jul 2002 18:30:58 +0300
From:      Juha Ylitalo <juha.ylitalo@iki.fi>
To:        Alan E <alane@geeksrus.net>
Cc:        Oliver Braun <obraun@informatik.unibw-muenchen.de>, FreeBSD Ports List <ports@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: grip configuration

--=-EiWtwTaLIE2WHAsS99FK

On Sun, 2002-07-14 at 17:52, Alan E wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 14, 2002 at 02:23:42PM +0200, Oliver Braun wrote:
> >Hi Alan,
> >
> >I am trying to use grip, but not very successful.
> >
> >It seems that cdda2wav is not available on FreeBSD. What else could I
> >use to rip? lame is ok for encoding?
> Otherwise, you're entering a DMZ: there are patches to allow "ATAPICAM"
> so that the ATAPI driver can be accessed like the SCSI driver. However,
> there is some contentious situtation about this, of which I know not
> details, wherein the patches are apprently being blocked from inclusion
> in the kernel (or something like that).
>=20
> (If that is the case, then I can only suggest you search the mail
> archives for -STABLE and -CURRENT and then  possibly ask on -CURRENT.)

As far as grip is concerned, its relatively simple to use it with ATAPI
devices. Here are bit and pieces from my ~/.grip
[begin quote]
bash-2.05a$ grep rip .grip
ripexename /usr/local/bin/dagrab
ripcmdline -d %c -f %w "%t"
ripfileformat ~/audio/%a/%d/%t-%n.wav
ripnice 0
id3_comment Created by Grip
auto_rip 0
eject_after_rip 1
beep_after_rip 1
selected_ripper 1
bash-2.05a$ grep ogg .grip
mp3exename /usr/local/bin/oggenc
mp3fileformat ~/audio/%a/%d/%t-%n.ogg
bash-2.05a$=20
[end quote]
So I am using dagrab (from audio/dagrab) for ripping the content from CD
and then oggenc (from audio/vorbis-tools) to encode it into OggVorbis
files. I've been happy with my results on those tools, but my
requirements are so low that I better leave other people to argue which
encoder creates best results and what are minimum bitrates for decent
listening experience and so on...

--=20
Juha Ylitalo                 juha.ylitalo@iki.fi                <e-mail>
+358 40 562 6152 <mobile>    http://www.iki.fi/jylitalo         <www>
"Some tools are used, because its policy, others because they are good."

--=-EiWtwTaLIE2WHAsS99FK

--=-EiWtwTaLIE2WHAsS99FK--