Date:      Sun, 17 Dec 2000 12:03:38 -0800
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjclark@reflexnet.net>
To:        Alwyn Goodloe <agoodloe@gradient.cis.upenn.edu>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: network testbed setup question

On Sun, Dec 17, 2000 at 08:58:27AM -0500, Alwyn Goodloe wrote:
> Crist,
>
>  THanks for your advise. The crossover cable thing fixed most of the
> problems - I can ping and telnet between two machines for example. I seem
> to forget about those crossover cables about every two years -- advancing
> age.....
>
>  I'm not sure why you say I don't need routed, isn't that necessary to
> do routing.

No. All machines connected to a network do simple routing and most do
(or should) not be running a routing daemon.

> This is needed in the experiment since I need to mimic a real
> environment even though I only have three machines and only one acts
> as a router.  I was under the impression that I needed to have
> the following in rc.conf
> gateway_enable ="YES"

Yes. This enables the system to forward packets.

> router_enable="YES"
> router="routed"
> router_flags="-s"

No. No. No.

> I guess for something this trivial I don't need to do much with respect to
> the routing tables.Are you saying that I don't should have gateway_enable
> = "YES" and router_enable="YES" (or should this be "NO"). The important
> thing is that I need to route between different networks and have the
> firewall software be able to filter and divert packets.

You need routed(8) if:

  1) Your routes are dynamic. That is, they change with time and they
     change without operator intervention.

  2) There are other devices on your network that talk RIP and your
     machine needs to talk to them.

Both of these are true. From your description, neither of these is
true. You have no additional routes to add beyond the simple ones
ifconfig(8) will do for you, and there are no other routers on the
network for your machine to talk to. You don't need routed.