Date:      Sun, 21 Feb 1999 15:37:20 -0600
From:      "Ladd J Epp" <lje4q@bethelks.edu>
To:        "FreeBSD Questions" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   PPP Routing Question

I was wondering if someone could help me solve a little puzzle that has
plagued me during my entire Unix/Linux experience.  In short, I have never
been able to get PPP to route.  Ever.  Tell me what I'm doing wrong.

In FreeBSD it seems easy enough to me.  I start by typing:

ppp

... and then I go into terminal mode to connect to the terminal server.  I
dial in, authorize myself, and then start the PPP session.  'ppp' detects
this and takes over.  So far so good.

Now I type (within 'ppp'):

add default HISADDR

And now everything should route and be running great, right?  Well, not
exactly.  I am unable to ping any address outside of my computer.  The
packets go out but they never return (I can verify this by looking at my
modem lights).  The odd thing is that I can FTP anywhere in the world and
everything works fine for about a minute or so... and then FTP locks up and
I can't do anything.

Has anyone seen this happen before?  It's not OS specific (as far as flavors
of Unix or Linux) because I've had the same problems in Debian (which I have
long since blown away for this very reason).  I would love to get my hands
dirty with FreeBSD but I can't do much without some type of network
connection.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.
Thanks,
~Ladd