Date:      Tue, 22 Aug 2000 12:08:47 -0700
From:      Jordan Hubbard <jkh@winston.osd.bsdi.com>
To:        Charles Richmond <cmr@sitaranetworks.com>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Status of the Alpha port

> Perhaps I am just being blind )-: but info about the port to alpha
> seems hard to find. Who is actually working on the port, is there a
> different tree.  Am I going to be able to install and boot a FreeBSD

Hi Charles,

The FreeBSD/alpha support is completely merged into our standard tree
and you can either get CDROM versions of the product from the FreeBSD
Mall (www.freebsdmall.com - the 4.1 version is coming out very
shortly) or do a snapshot installation from
ftp://current.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/snapshots/alpha (though the last
snapshot there is from May and really needs to be updated).

> help in choosing our next OS/version. Supposedly beast.freebsd.org
> is an alpha running FreeBSD, but which version ?  If the port is not
> curently buildable/installable can I get at beast to do an eval?

jkh@beast-> uname -a
FreeBSD beast.freebsd.org 5.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 5.0-CURRENT #1: Fri Aug  4 02:09:49 PDT 2000     root@beast.freebsd.org:/usr/src/sys/compile/BEAST  alpha

And yes, access to beast is certainly an option.  If David O'Brien is
listening, perhaps he can do another snapshot build for us just as
soon as green unbreaks the crypto libraries. :)

- Jordan