Date:      Sat, 07 Jun 2014 11:36:09 +1000
From:      Kubilay Kocak <koobs@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Paul Hoffman <phoffman@proper.com>
Cc:        Marcus von Appen <mva@FreeBSD.org>, freebsd-python@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NUDGE: pip for v3?

On 7/06/2014 11:23 AM, Paul Hoffman wrote:
> On Jun 6, 2014, at 6:16 PM, Kubilay Kocak <koobs@FreeBSD.org> wrote:
>
>> You may use the Ports framework DEFAULT_VERSIONS mechanism to build any
>> python port (that supports 2 *and* 3) with a non-default version of Python.
>
> Noted, but I have gotten quite attached to the pkg interface and simplicity.

A pkg repository that builds for Python != 2.7 is whats needed. Longer
term provided by the project, but in the meantime something a
contributor could easily provide as a service to the community with
poudriere (and dogfood themselves)

If bandwidth might be a concern, come and talk to us on IRC. I have a
few ideas on how we might be able to help someone like that :)

>> Also a quick note that while we (Team Python) are aiming for multiple
>> concurrently installed versions of python packages in a single
>> environment, there are some rough edges which precludes some scenarios.
>
> Is there a list of those somewhere? I would maybe be able to put in some development time on smoothing.

Issues have revolved mostly around:

- Conflicting files in doc/share/etc (need to be prefixed) - mva@ (cc'd)
has had a patch in the works for this

- Depending (directly or indirectly) on a PythonXY version of a port
that doesnt support XY

There are likely some other related issues listed here on our FreeBSD
Python wiki page:

https://wiki.freebsd.org/Python

Any extra eyes & help would be appreciated, there's plenty of low effort
high value things people can do in team Python@ at the moment to make
the ecosystem better for everyone.

>> Have a play and let us know what works and what doesn't, and we're
>> always available on #freebsd-python (freenode IRC) if you'd like to have
>> a chat
>
> Will do, thanks!

You're welcome, thanks for the nudging :)

--
Koobs