Date:      Sun, 22 Dec 2002 01:35:50 +0100 (CET)
From:      Martin Blapp <mb@imp.ch>
To:        <current@freebsd.org>
Cc:        <sos@freebsd.org>, <imp@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RC2 "install" report, three problems

Hi all,

Trying to install 5.0 RC2 on my new laptop, it fails miserably
on everything I try.

Let me explain the three different problems.

1) ATA problem

The laptop has as SIS chipset, and uses a SIS900 ATA controller.
Disable ULTRA DMA does help. See this posting with a possible
workaround. It would be nice if at least this workaround gets
committed to 5.0R.

2.) Failing to read MAC adresse, missing PHYS

This PR should definitly be committed to 5.0, it's waiting
since a long time. Without this patch, all laptop users with
integrated nic and a SIS 642 chipset cannot use FreeBSD.

http://www.geocrawler.com/archives/3/152/2002/6/0/9065467/

3.) Unable to install from a Realtec pcmcia card (Realtek RTL8139)

The card is properly detected, but it seems that it doesn't get
power turned on. Looks like Warner needs to fix something here. All
we get here are "rl0: watchdog timeout".

I'm willing to provide more informations about this issue.

I gave up now after a very frustrating session. It seems that I'll
have to install over parallel or serial IP connection
again. Someone should definitly look at Wpauls PR's and commit the
ones that are ready. It looks like work has stalled there for a
long time.

Martin

Martin Blapp, <mb@imp.ch> <mbr@FreeBSD.org>